This is a show note on a source that lets you beat the high price of Apple Lighting / USB Charging (Lighting hereafter) cables. In this post I will tell you:
- Why you want to use cables like the ones presented here,
- Provide you will additional capabilities that you do not get from Apple, and
- Give you a source to purchase these cables.
Standard Apply Lighting Cables:
Apple Lighting Cables come in 3 lengths. A summary and their cost is shown below:
- .5 Meter (approximately 18 inched) and costs $19.95 at the Apple Store.
- 1 Meter (approximately 3.3 feet) and costs $19.95 at the Apple Store. ** This is the standard cable that comes with your iPhone 5, 5S, 6, 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPad Mine 3, and the new iPods.
- 2 Meters (approximately 6.6 feet) and cost $29.95 at the Apple Store.
Problems With Apple Lighting Cables
I have three main problems with Apple Lighting Cables:
- Too Short – Just try charging and using your iPad, iPhone, or iPod while lying in bed or on your couch. The cables are too short in most instances to do both at the same time.
- High Price – Some of us have more that one charger for our Apple product so that we can charge in the kitchen (or somewhere else) when they are not being used, or we have a charger in the bedroom or front room so that we can read, surf the net, or check email while charging our device. Paying the standard Apple price means to get a cable that is too short will cost your $19.95 or $29.95. This is a very high price for cable that is too short to use. It is also just plain TOO EXPENSIVE.
- You Can Only Use Apple Cables – I have tried non Apple Lighting cables. Most of the ones I have tried will not work. I get some message saving that the cable I am trying to use will not function with my Apple device that uses a Lighting Cable.
I did not have this problem with the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, or the original iPad Mini. Any non Apple cable that I got for these devices worked without any problems. I also did not have any shorts, electrical damage, or other issues with these cables.
How can I find a non Apple Lighting Cable That will work with my Apple Device?
After looking on eBay and Amazon, I started noticing cables that claimed to be “Apple Certified”. I checked the ratings made by the purchasers of these devices. Some cable got very good rating, and others got terrible ratings. I tried some of these cables. Some of them did not work and I returned them, but others worked, the cost was very reasonable, and I am very happy with them. So if you want a non Apple Lighting Cable, check around the Internet. You will find many Apple Certified Lighting Cables products at reasonable prices, but be cautious prior to making your purchase. Purchase only cables that have been reviewed. Look at the consumer experience. You can tell which non Apple Lighting Cable have worked well for many consumers. You should limit your purchases to only those products that have a good rating. Also make sure that the vendor both warranties that product and will let you return it if the cable does not work in your apple device.
What does “Apple Certified” mean in an AMAZON or eBay Ad?
I don’t know what it means other than that it is in the title of the product description for the ads that I have seen. I do not know if these products are certified by Apple itself, but I can tell you that I have had good luck with the cables I have purchased through Amazon, and continue to use these cables. I have also referred these cables to friends.
I have ads from Amazon for a cable at the end of this blog post. I have both purchased and continue to use 3 of cables. Also, I did not have to return any of the cables because these cables work in both my iPhone and iPad Air.
I have three of these cables show below. There are others, but this one has worked the best for me.
Gear Beast 9.8 Foot/3 Meter Extra Long Apple MFI Certified Lightning Charging Cable
Sync and Charge the latest iPhone, iPad or iPod products with the Gear Beast Apple MFI Certified 8-Pin Lightning to USB 2.0 Cable. This cable is designed to rapidly charge and sync music, photos and videos to your device.
What is Made for iPod, Made for iPhone, Made for iPad (MFI) Certification?
MFI is AppleÕs product licensing program for developers of hardware and peripherals for Apple's iPod, iPad and iPhone. Apple tests and certifies products from these developers to guarantee complete compatibility with Apple devices and the latest IOS 8
Why is MFI Certification important to me?
Non-MFI products are not tested and could be incompatible with your iDevice. This simply means the cable will not fully charge or your iPhone, iPad or iPod and could short out, stop functioning and damage your device.
All Gear Beast Lightning cables are MFI certified by Apple to meet Apple performance standards and carry the Made for iPhone, Made for iPad and Made for iPod logos. DonÕt compromise performance, risk potential damage to your Apple device, or violate your product warranty by using non-certified cables.
Gear Beast Lightning cables have been designed to compatible with the most popular case on the market such as Otterbox (Except iPhone 5 Preserver), Lifeproof (Except iPhone 6 Fre), and of course GearShield cases.
Gear Beast Hassle-Free Warranty
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are not satisfied for any reason. Gear Beast products are backed by a Lifetime Hassle Free Warranty
Apple iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Apple iPhone 5 / 5S / 5C, iPad Mini / 2 / 3, iPad Mini with Retina Display, iPad with Retina Display (4th generation), iPad Air / 2, iPod Touch (5th generation), and iPod Nano (7th generation)